It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:33 pm 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

The compatibility chart shown on the software download page is pretty harsh. For example, it states that we don't recommend using PCC with v7.0 or v7.1 cameras (as well as many other discontinued models.)

It states this because we have not had a chance to test the full functionality of the software on those cameras -- and those cameras could have a variety of firmware revision on them in the field, leading to a huge number of configuration branches in the test plan.

We think this is a conservative approach to communicating compatibility and setting your expectations. So, if you get a chance to test PCC on an "unsupported" camera, please leave your feedback here. It will help us and other users.

Over time, we hope to test PCC with most of the cameras still deployed in the field and update the compatibility chart.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 am 

I'm not sure if this is a compatibility issue or not, but I've got a v7.3 camera with firmware 437, and the PCC software will not start.
When I try to start the software, I get the following error:
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application"

This seems more like a software bug than a hardware incompatibility issue (since the software does not start at all)
but it could be either.
I'm running winXP SP3

[edit] re-installing the software fixed the problem

-Matthew

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:50 am 

Further issues with the 7.3 camera:
Although the software detects the camera, both the capture and trigger buttons are greyed out and cannot be pressed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 pm 

Rick,
I just tried the PCC (v 1.0.687.48 "patch" install) with the v7.1 (firmware 381). I ran into some serious issues on this first attempt. Mainly: it was not possible to save the acquired cine to the computer harddrive, and on top of that, the test caused my PVP to stop working.

I have an email in to Toni in tech support reporting the issues above, and I hope they can be resolved. In the meantime, I have a few additional observations that may be relevant to this thread:

1) I could not find an option to do a Black Reference in the PCC. Is it not available, or is this a compatibility issue?

2) I could not find an option to do save the 12-bit cines in 8-bit format, which is possible in the old software. Is this a compatibility issue?

3) When playing back cines using PCC (either cines in camera RAM, or previously saved cine files), the maximum playback rate was only 100 fps (or 1000 fps, if using the fast-forward feature to speed up 10x). This was with the option to skip frames. I thought it should be possible to play back at any rate up to and including the recording rate? Is this an incompatibility issue, or something else?

I sincerely hope that I can get the PCC to work with my v7.1, as the new software provides much needed functionality that has been missing from the legacy controller software. I will provide an update if there is any progress.

Thanks,

drk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:00 pm 

V7.1 (Firmware 381) Incompatible with PCC 1.0 and PCC 1.1 :(

I've done some more tests, and for now, must conclude that the PCC software is regrettably not compatible with my v7.1 camera (Firmware 381).

Tried this with a clean, full install of PCC 1.1.689.51 (having first uninstalled all other versions of Phantom software). Using an Intel Xeon X5471 3.00 GHz CPU, with 3.25 GB RAM, and running under Windows XP Professional SP3. The following versions of Microsoft .NET Framework are installed: 1.1, 2.0/SP2, 3.0/SP2, 3.5/SP1.

Things looked promising at first: I was able to acquire and save a cine using PCC. However, the file was only to 8-bit pixel depth.

The problems I encountered subsequently may have been triggered by my attempt to restore the 12-bit pixel depth. I found no option to do this in PCC, so I opened Ph689 and changed the saved bit depth to "same" (=12 bits) in the options screen, then closed Ph689 and re-launched PCC.

In all further tests, I was unable to save any acquired cines from camera RAM to file. I also encountered numerous error messages, including "unhandled exceptions" and warnings about attempts to access protected memory. These problems persisted even after I went back to Ph689 to restore the pixel depth to 8 bits.

I do not know whether the initial change from 8-bit to 12-bit mode caused the subsequent problems, or if this was just a coincidence and I happened to get lucky with the first cine (which I was able to acquire and save error-free in PCC). If I have time to do additional tests, I will report my results here.

For anyone with an optimistic outlook, the best-case interpretation of the above observations is that it may be possible to use PCC 1.1. with the v7.1 if one always lets the camera remain in 8-bit mode. In addition to the loss of the 12-bit mode, the PCC also loses the ability to do a black reference for the v7.1 (only CSR is possible).

I encourage others to do their own experiments with the v7.1 -- maybe one of us will get lucky and find a way to make it work! :)

-drk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:14 am 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

drk, the loss of black reference should not be a huge issue, I hope. A Black Reference would temporarily change the shooting parameters to some selected by the factory -- full resolution, a certain (low) frame rate, etc. -- where a CSR will do the "black reference" at the customer-selected shooting parameters, resulting in a better reference for that shot.

Thanks for the detailed message. It helps us and others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:36 pm 

Rick,
Thanks for your note. Yes, I agree, the loss of BR functionality is not a big deal. However, the bigger issues are:

1) The PCC software may or may not be stable with the v7.1 even in 8-bit mode; at this time, it is just an optimistic conjecture that the problems I encountered were related to the change of bit depth. More testing is needed to check whether errors will occur in 8-bit mode.

2) Even in the best-case scenario, the loss of 12-bit mode means that you are effectively trading your v7 for a v4 (OK, a souped-up v4... :) ). Those who need the added sensitivity afforded by the 12-bit option must stay with the legacy software.

3) The PCC software does not "play nice" with the legacy software. I was unable to have both versions installed without one corrupting the other (even using the "patch folder" installation option). Thus, those who use the 12-bit option cannot even take advantage of the PCC for less demanding applications (in which 8-bit video might be acceptable). They cannot even use the PCC for playback of previously recorded cines (I have already posted in another thread to request that a "Cine Viewer" based on the PCC GUI be made available as an alternative).

Thanks,

-drk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm 

I attempted to use PCC 1.2 with my Phantom v4.2 camera. I received the following error numerous times after opening the software. It kept popping up and I was unable to set up the camera connection. I have included the error details below...

Let me know if you have any ideas or if this means that PCC is incompatible with v4.2.

Thank you.

Joe

Microsoft.NET Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...

Details...

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Pcc.Bitdepth.set(UInt32 val)
at Pcc.CamMgr.initCam(CamData cam, Boolean resurected)
at Pcc.CamMgr.initCams()
at Pcc.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at Pcc.MainForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Pcc
Assembly Version: 1.2.692.992
Win32 Version: 1.2.692.992
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Phantom/Pcc.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
PhSharp
Assembly Version: 1.0.692.50
Win32 Version: 1.0.692.50
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Phantom/PhSharp.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 pm 

FYI: I have 7.1 camera (firmware 381) running on Windows 7x64. PCC 1.1 runs without errors, but all the buttons are greyed-out.