It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: downloading TIFFs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 am 

Hi,
I recently had a Phantom camera shoot. I filled 180 GB of a 250GB cinemag and while converting to TIFFs I used about 1.2TB !! Is that normal and correct?
d

Post subject: Re: downloading TIFFs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

That seems like a little more than I would expect..

The raw cines from the Phantom HD are stored in the cinemag as 10-bit packed files, and then when saved out of the cinemag its going to become 14-bit again. So, that process will make the 180GB becomes 252 GB.

Your Tiff conversion is actually turning those 14-bit RAW files into 16-bit per RGB channel (the only choices are 12 or 16).

That increases the size from 252 GB to 288 GB (14 bit to 16 bit).. then multiply by 3 for the RGB conversion. That gives you exactly 864MB.

Either I'm forgetting a step along the way (if so someone please correct me), or maybe some of the files were duplicated?

Post subject: Re: downloading TIFFs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:54 am 

OK thanks, I didn't know they were duplicated for the RGB. It kind of makes sense now...but I was surprised that it was over a TB....

Toni/VRI wrote:
That seems like a little more than I would expect..

The raw cines from the Phantom HD are stored in the cinemag as 10-bit packed files, and then when saved out of the cinemag its going to become 14-bit again. So, that process will make the 180GB becomes 252 GB.

Your Tiff conversion is actually turning those 14-bit RAW files into 16-bit per RGB channel (the only choices are 12 or 16).

That increases the size from 252 GB to 288 GB (14 bit to 16 bit).. then multiply by 3 for the RGB conversion. That gives you exactly 864MB.

Either I'm forgetting a step along the way (if so someone please correct me), or maybe some of the files were duplicated?