It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pixel depth confusion
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 pm 

Dear VRI,

I'm having some uncertainty regarding pixel depth.
While this was most recently with a Flex, Cinemag II and PCC 1.3, I would be interested to hear if these issues apply to other setups.

Here's what I'm seeing:

In PCC Camera Settings I set 12 bits, no other option available which makes sense as its a 12 bit camera.
After saving a cine from Cinemag, I open the Cine Info Window for that saved file and read 'Bits per Color: 14'.
I read in the documentation for PCC some vaguely conflicting info about how the system does save up to the bit depth of the camera but elsewhere (previous version) that even though the camera shoots more bits, it only saves 8 bits to file, although it chooses "... the 8 bits of the highest order, most significant bits"

Shoot all day and checked Cine Info a few times on different saved files with same result, 14 Bits. Finish job and break down the system.

Post company calls up and are getting poor results with Gluetools and FCP. They felt like they were only getting 8 bits although I am guessing they may have needed to change their settings. Apparently, they later figure it out because no further contact from them.
Next day, I fire up the system again and look at some saved files on drive as well as Flashcines still on mag.
In Cine Info Window, now all flashcines read in 'Bits per color:10 P'
while drive saved files still read ' 14 '.

So, my questions are:
What Bit depth is actually available to output from a saved file?
Is it different depending on the third party software?
Is it different on a Flashcine versus a saved CineRAW?
Did the bit depth change from day one to day two? If so is there a camera or software setting that would have caused that?
What does '10 P' mean in the Bit Depth window?
And finally, is this subject covered in detail anywhere in the help manual? I can't find much on it.

An unrelated question:

If a camera is in a pre-trigger mode and the trigger pulse occurs in the middle of a frame's exposure, does the trigger cause a new frame to start immediately or does the camera start recording at the end of the already partially exposed frame?

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff S.