It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm 

We support a lot of applications that use multiple cameras to record the event. We prefer using hard triggers, but have been finding that the trigger boxes we have hare triggering the cameras all at slightly different times. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a reliable distribution trigger box which would trigger all cameras simultaneously.

For instances when we use two cameras a simple BNC "T" connector works fine, but when we are using 10 cameras....
We have been using IRIG time to synchronize all cameras.

thanks!
Jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 am 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

Jeremiah,

How far off are you on your trigger times? What may be happening is depending on the distance between the cameras there may be some cabling issues. How far apart are the cameras from each other and the trigger source?

Also how are you triggering the cameras? It is done by a mechanical or switch closure? I spoke to one of our field application engineers who suggested that you use one of our Multi-IO boxes to trigger multiple cameras.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am 

Hi Mike,

I've been able to prove that it is not cable length issues. I have tried sample scenarios where the cameras are both less then six feet from the trigger box. And have used identical cable lengths. I've then even switched the trigger cables between cameras and still get similar delays. the differences I am getting are between .004 and .017 seconds. and its inconsistent between runs.

I'm confident that the problem lies with our trigger box, which seams to be very old and not designed with High Speed system requirements in mind.

I'd be interested in checking out any recomendations you have as far as a trigger box...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

These delays are quite large in the world of high speed photography. Can you check each camera's trigger parameter's. Go to ACQUISITION and select CAMERA OPTIONS and look at the trigger options to make sure the are all set to the same parameters i.e. falling edge, trigger filter= 32usec. What version of software are you using and what are the S/N's of your camera's. I just want to make sure that your camera's meet the minimum firmware requirements for the version of Phantom software you are using.

If all of the above checks out and you are interested in our multi IOIO box, here is the link:

http://www.visionresearch.com/Products/ ... lti-IOIOG/

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm 

yes, agreed. those delays are quite large. in my mind, unacceptable. yes I've checked that both cameras are up to date with their firmware. Yes, the options are set the same on both. I've verified that we are set to falling edge, trigger filter standard 32usec. I spent a couple days on this test recording numbers and verifying any possible solutions. the camera serials I was using were: 6862 and 2899.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am 
VRI Employee
VRI Employee

Jeremiah,

Can you call me at 973-692-4003 so we can discuss this issue a bit more in depth.

Thanks

Mike