Vision Research Unveils the Next-Generation of Digital High-Speed Camera – the Phantom® Flex
Flex Offers New Levels of Flexibility Never Before Available on a High-Speed Camera
Setting new standards for innovation, Vision Research, a leading manufacturer of digital high speed imaging systems, proudly unveils the Phantom Flex, the company’s next generation, high-speed camera for the digital cinema market. Redefining what’s possible when it comes to high-speed imaging, the Phantom Flex offers industry-leading flexibility, allowing users to fine tune and adapt the camera to their changing needs and to deliver impressive slow-motion images in just about any application or environment.
User-Selectable Shooting Modes
For situations that demand the ultimate in resolution, the Phantom Flex boasts a specially engineered four mega-pixel color CMOS sensor which offers a maximum resolution of 2560x1600. When set to Standard Mode, users can enjoy a maximum recording speed of 1,560 frames-per-second (fps) at the camera’s maximum four mega pixel resolution. Higher recording speeds can also be achieved by reducing the camera’s resolution. For example, when used in full-HD resolution (1920x1080), the Phantom Flex offers a maximum recording speed of 2,800 frames-per-second. When reduced to 720p HD resolution (1280x720), the Phantom Flex offers a maximum recording speed of 6,100 fps. The camera can go even faster, recording at 13,000 fps at 640x480. In addition to delivering impressive results for high-speed imaging, the Phantom Flex can also be used to record at more traditional speeds with frame rates starting as low as 5 fps, further adding to the versatility of the camera system.
Enhanced Image Quality
Users will also benefit from the camera’s Phantom HQ shooting mode, a high performance setting which yields the ultimate in image quality. A step-up from Standard Mode, Phantom HQ Mode employs Vision Research’s proprietary image enhancement technology. An unprecedented achievement in digital high-speed cameras, Phantom HQ Mode ensures stable blacks, low noise, higher dynamic range and repeatable shots over the full range of supported resolutions, frame rates, and temperatures, all without the need to conduct pre-shot black references. When set to Phantom HQ Mode, the Flex trades speed for enhanced image quality; however, the camera still offers impressive maximum recording speeds of 780 fps at 2560x1600, 1,390 fps at 1920x1080, and 3,000 fps at 1280x720.
Additional high performance features include:
- Breakthrough sensitivity: increased peak quantum efficiency and reduction in noise-equivalent power
- 1000 ISO (measured using ISO 12232 SAT method)
- 12-bit pixel depth
- Flexible lens options: choose between 35mm (PL, Canon EOS, Nikon F, Panavision), Super 16mm, and 2/3” lenses
- Global, electronic shutter down to one-microsecond
- Select raw digital workflow, video workflow, or combine both for maximum control and flexibility
- Internal mechanical shutter for hands-free and remote Current Session Reference
- Dual HD-SDI outputs: 2 x 4:2:2 HD-SDI ports can be configured as dual-link 4:4:4 video
- On-camera controls for mode selection, settings, playback, edit & save
- Frame synchronization to external signals allows multiple cameras to be synchronized, essential for stereo 3D recording
- Two 12V DC auxiliary power outputs for powering external devices
- Remote port for connecting Phantom Remote Control Unit
- 16GB or 32GB of high-performance built-in dynamic RAM
- Phantom CineMag™, CineStation™ and CineStream™ support
Service and Technology Protection
With the purchase of any Phantom Flex digital high-speed camera, Vision Research provides a three-year service protection program, which covers any needed repair as well as software and firmware updates.
Vision Research is also offering an aggressive technology protection program that gives current Phantom camera owners to the ability to trade-in their used camera to experience the new Phantom Flex at a discounted rate. Depending on the condition and age of the used Phantom camera, customers can receive a trade-in credit towards the purchase of a Phantom Flex. Thanks to this unprecedented program, loyal Vision Research customers can maximize their investment and stay at the forefront of the continually advancing, state-of-the art high-speed imaging technologies offered by the company.
Additional information and detailed specifications for the Vision Research Phantom Flex can be found at www.visionresearch.com